Monday, December 15, 2008

Hex


After watching the first season, I'm not sure what I think of the short-lived British series Hex. It's a supernatural-oriented show set at an upper-crust boarding school and the plot centers around a female student who learns she's a witch and is being hunted by a fallen angel named Azaezel. The supernatural+high school element draws inevitable comparisons to Buffy, but Hex has a very different style--more soap opera and less episodic, and with far fewer action scenes. What Hex does have going for it is one of the best title sequences I've ever seen for setting tone (on par with Carnivale's), a great supporting character (a lesbian ghost), and a little more leeway in terms of profanity and nudity. Only the first ten episodes are available on DVD in North America, although a second nine episodes aired in England before the show was cancelled. I'd definitely be interested in watching more to see how the show ends, but I don't think it'll be one I'll mourn its early cancellation.

No comments: