Sunday, August 23, 2026

Starfinder Flip-Mat: "Ice World" [RPG]

I've had a few opportunities now to pull out the Ice World flip-mat, most recently when the PCs discovered the existence of izalguun on the remote planet Izalraan.  One side features a frozen lake mostly covered by snow, overlooked by some rocky outcroppings.  It's very attractive, though the landscape contours aren't easy to discern.  And I'll repeat, to no effect, my ancient plea that these flip-mats would be of better value if the inside of the sleeves came with some suggested game effects for the terrain depicted--for example, maybe some DCs to move across the ice?  The other side of the flip-mat depicts a series of subterranean icy caves and passages.  There's three entrances/exits, several side chambers for smaller encounters, and a big cavern for a big showdown.  I like how icy steps are depicted to show different aspects of elevation.  A plus is that both sides are generic enough that they can be reused without drawing attention to themselves.  I'm far more likely to use the icy lake side, as it can stand in for any fantasy or science-fiction scene as long the weather is right, whereas cave networks are a dime a dozen in flip-mats and map packs.  Overall, a solid, usable flip-mat that's a smart addition to one's library.

No comments: