Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Roddy McCallister, Itinerate Gravedigger


I'm starting to get some of the early prep done on a depression-era Call of Cthulhu one-shot (or prologue to a campaign, depending on what people want to do once the Clone Wars campaign is over). Several months ago, I played in a modern-day Call of Cthulhu one-shot (using the d20 version) and made up a couple of characters (one to play and one to sub if the first one died). The characters are tougher than normal, as the director wanted a more adventurous, pulp feel.

Roddy McCallister is my version of the classic itinerate gravedigger. Roddy seems creepy to most people--he's gaunt, has greasy hair, and is awkward in social situations. He has a voice a lot like Peter Lorre. But maybe he's just misunderstood?

He also keeps a scrapbook full of polaroids he's taken of people he's buried, crime victims he's come across, etc. But Roddy doesn't talk about that.

In the one-shot, which involved an isolated hotel where the guests started becoming possessed by some malevolent influence, Roddy took out six people with his trademark sharpened shovel (five of them deserved it . . . the sixth? well . . . .).

One odd thing about the Cthulhu RPG is it seems to assume people have a lot more in cash and liquid assets than I think is realistic (at least given what I've read about the low rates of saving and high rates of credit card debt in the U.S. and Canada). So, even with a blue-collar occupation like gravedigging, Roddy somehow has over $ 5,000 in his pocket. I imagine a couple grand of that is invested in a beat-up old pick-up truck he drives from graveyard to graveyard, looking for work. Those reddish-brown stains in the back of the truck? Probably from oil and stuff . . .

4 comments:

Bal said...

I think you should go with a fantasy setting for your next one. Maybe an appearance by Jhaeman and/or Bal along the way somewhere...

Now that could be interesting...

Then again I won't be able to play so I suppose it's whatever the current players are into of course that matters... :-P

Jeremy Patrick said...

It's funny you should mention that, because my other idea is a classic megadungeon I found recently called Caste Whiterock, designed to take characters from level 1-15 (it uses D&D 3.5).

Bal said...

Wow, 48 pages of maps and 32 of player handouts. It looks interesting indeed.

Dang I miss playing sometimes. Maybe sometime I'll play again...

I vote for Castle Whiterock and I'll read all the summaries and the like. Maybe I'll design an NPC or two that you might find useful. :)

Jeremy Patrick said...

You can be the tie-breaker vote if the group splits on what to do next :) and I love the idea of you coming up with NPCs . . .