Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Am I a Bloodthirsty Director?

On Saturday I directed my first ever T.P.K. in a game (for non-gamers, that stands for Total Party Kill, a session in which every single player's character gets killed). It's one of those things that makes you take stock of yourself as a director and ask some hard questions: (1) did I put the PCs in a no-win situation? (2) did I role-play the NPCs realistically? (3) did I handle the combat fairly & correctly? and, in a larger sense, (4) am I just a bloodthirsty director? The T.P.K. is odd, in that I feel bad about it, but at the same time I thought it was a great session and I don't think I would do anything differently. This is, of course, rationalizing after the fact--but hopefully some searching introspection will help mitigate the guilt ;)

For question # 1, my best answer is: maybe. The PCs learn that their employer, whom they seem to like, and an NPC companion, have been kidnapped by a trio of hill-billies who have been terrorizing the small village of Dunwich. The locals are terrified of the Potter Boys and aren't willing to lift a finger to stop them, so the PCs are left in the unenviable position of letting their acquaintances die or trying to mount a rescue. Now, the PCs know where the Potter farmhouse is, so they have some options: break in, guns blazing; try to lure the Potters out one by one and assassinate them (or some variant); bargain & ransom their missing companions free; do something really dramatic, like set the house on fire or crash a vehicle through it; or just decide the cause is hopeless and prepare to get out of Dodge while the getting is good. For most games, pitting three or four PCs against three NPCs doesn't seem unreasonable, but in Call of Cthulhu any combat is deadly, as a single gunshot wound is enough to kill or incapacitate most characters. I full expected that if the PCs went in commando style (which they did), one or two of them would die. But on the other hand, the encounter served as the capstone to the second story arc of the campaign (the 8th session) and there'd been very little combat up to that point, so it seemed like the right time to escalate the danger and excitement of the game.

For questions # 2 and # 3, I feel good. The Potter Boys are cannibal serial killers, and they have no mercy. Dice-wise, I rolled in front of everyone, and luck was simply with the bad guys. The PCs were clever enough to get the drop on them a couple of times, but their shots missed, and a little bad luck can be very lethal in CoC. To be fair, characters in CoC aren't action heroes--they're "regular people" caught up in dangerous events, so it's certainly not the players fault that a brothel madam, a circus dwarf, a doctor, and a hobo found themselves outgunned. Even the best min-maxers would find it impossible to make really tough characters, especially given 3d6 straight-down-the-line ability scores and the need to allocate skill points in a fashion that fits the character concept.

As for the fourth question, I can readily admit that I want combat to be risky--I want it to be exciting and seem dangerous, and one of the reasons I wanted to run CoC is my memory of playing in a CoC campaign and feeling vulnerable, paranoid, and exhilarated because I knew the only thing between my character and a quick, grisly death were my wits and his pitiful snub nose revolver. It was nerve-wracking and thrilling, and that's the experience I'm trying to convey.

I suppose another way to approach answering the question of whether or not I'm simply a bloodthirsty director is to look at the casualty rates in past campaigns. Here are the major campaigns I've directed & PC deaths:

The Night Below Campaign: This is hard to tally, because death in D&D is different, since PCs (at least when they get to mid-level) have access to resurrection magic. Of the three players who played through from the beginning to the end, one had to create a new character due to PC death.

Buffy/Angel (24 sessions + one-shots): No PC deaths.

Clone Wars (53 sessions): Four PC deaths (I think--Krevlax, Array, Bel Sekand, & arguably 8P-MD-4, who was involuntarily trapped in the Anomaly)

Cthulhu (8 sessions): Five PC deaths (4 on Saturday)

Having a T.P.K. also, of course, creates some interesting challenges for the campaign. I plan to continue with new characters on the theory that the story continues even if particular participants enter at a later chapter. I think I have some good ideas for the rest of the campaign, but we'll have to wait and see whether they work out--and, most importantly, whether my players want to continue!

3 comments:

The Wife said...

I think you are a LITTLE on the blood-thirsty side. I say a little, because I don't really think you "hunger for our PCs terrible deaths!" and I don't think you glory in it when it happens.

However, I think that one thing you perhaps do differently than other DMs is that you really do leave everything up to fate. You design the scenario you want and if fewer than expected PCs show up, too bad for us. You are not one to adjust a scenario even if you realize that you've left us with few choices.

You've also often said yourself (in the Star Wars context) that with higher level PCs you will deliberately try to come up with the toughest obstacles you can - but you don't concern yourself with what any ways by them might be. That's up to us to come up with, when can be pretty tough.

I don't think that is a bad way to go - you're a phenomenally talented DM - it can just be frustrating on occasion. It honestly bothered me more in Star Wars, when it felt like you were just deliberately stacking the deck and leaving us without options, than in Cthulu which anyone who signs up for should know is a deadly game.

For me, it comes down more to enjoyment of the game environment. While you loved the paranoia of Cthulu and knowing that while you the player would see the whole story, you might play multiple characteres, that is less appealing to me. Much of what I love about gaming is the story arc, the build of how characters come to interact and know one another. In Cthlulu with characters changing like crazy, that doesn't seem likely. That makes it probably my least favourite system that I've played so far. Not boring, not bad, but definitely my least favourite.

Steve - an Av in Nebr said...

Ugh ... had a big ol' reply typed up and it didn't submit. Try again but a bit shorter...

Given that prior to the TPK (in a deadly world) you had what, 6 deaths in 100-120 or more sessions I'd say that answers your question there. One death in every 20 sessions or so, and only one death in an entire Night Below campaign? Wow.

How many times did Jhaeman die? How many new characters got created in the travels north those early days? That I would question as bloodthirsty.

Heck, I've tried running the Night Below 3 or 4 times and ended in TPKs or nearly that every time. Sometimes it occurred early, but never past the Illithads. Sometimes it was party bickering (god I hated how often that happened), sometimes poor choices (charging into the city to save someone who was taken), and sometimes it was just bad luck.

I look forward to a day that I again can play in one of your campaigns. Your games sound great and you not only mix combat and RPing but the PCs also have to use their wits as well. Perhaps the VT game I'm about to run will go well and we can use that to make this happen ... and I just hope that I run a game worthy of the group. ;)

Jeremy Patrick said...

To The Wife: I think you're exactly write that when I come up with problems for high-level characters, I don't worry about also coming up with solutions--a large part of the fun I have as a director is seeing just how creative the PCs can be (and for what it's worth, you guys in the Clone Wars campaign also ended up figuring out some way around whatever obstacle I put in your path). I will confess that I don't make scenarios easier if fewer PCs than expected show up--I always maliciously consider that just part of the challenge that experienced gamers have to overcome :) (and I also never make scenarios harder if more PCs than expected show up). I agree with you that one of the big challenges in Cthulhu is how to balance the need for character development and interaction with the fact that most characters can expect a fairly short life-span. I haven't yet figured out that conundrum . . .

To Steve: I can't say there was only one death in the whole Night Below--just one death that the players who started and finished weren't able to come back from through Raise Dead or Resurrection (I don't remember why--perhaps the PC was disintegrated, failed a System Shock, or was banished to another plane with no way to get back?). But yeah, Jhaeman has died a *lot*--though not nearly as often as his horses ;)