Thursday, December 6, 2012

Fantasy Football 2012 Regular Season Review

2012 started off slow for the Transcendent Sun Runners as I had a 2-3 record after 5 games.  Then, everything clicked and I reeled off 8 straight wins to finish the regular season 10-3, with the best record in the league!  I had the best of both worlds: the highest offensive production (averaging 97 points a game) and the lowest points against (just 77 points a game).  Obviously, I can only take credit for the former while the latter is sheer luck.  But I'm okay with that!

For the season, my real find was Bucs RB Doug Martin.  I picked him solely on the thesis that he would see a lot of carries and would be a steady starter, but I wasn't expecting him to be one of the most productive backs in the league.  Picking up R.G.III in a late round (as my third QB, actually) just in case he ended being another Cam Newton worked out astonishingly well.  DeMaryius Thomas & A.J. Greene gave me my best wide receiver tandem since I started fantasy football a few years back.  I adopted a new strategy this year regarding D/ST.  Instead of trying to find the "best" one and sticking with it unless they were up against an extremely high-powered offence, this time I reversed my focus.  Instead of trying to find a good defense, each week I identified the worst offensive teams in the league and picked up whatever defence they happened to be playing; it's worked like a charm, as I exploited sure-fire failures like Ryan Lindley quarterbacking in Arizona.  The only major draft pick I made that didn't work out was Aaron Hernandez at TE because he got injured early; I managed to get by with some average replacements, but now that he's healthy I'm putting him back in the line-up for the playoffs.

I once again have the top seed in the playoffs; hopefully, unlike previous years, I can ride regular season success into playoff success.

2 comments:

Steve - an Av in Nebr said...

Could the Jets get completely shut down tonight and have the #1 seed upset in the first round of the playoffs! Guess we'll see...

I'll have to see where we stand on pre-season division winner predictions. I looked a couple weeks ago and was 7/8 (with Atlanta being the exception) though I know that things have changed a bit. Still that's pretty good compared to last year...

Jeremy Patrick said...

I didn't have computer access and I couldn't remember who you started, but I was 100% positive after seeing my players' performances in the afternoon games that I was toast. We both did poorly this week, and I was lucky to squeak out a win. Still, excited to be in my first championship game.

I'll have to do a post about the division winners after the regular season is over . . .