Thursday, February 9, 2017

Blood Crimes [RPG]


NO SPOILERS

J.C. Hay's Blood Crimes is a really fun story in a really dark setting.  Available as free web fiction (here), it's set in Mechitar, capital of the undead-ruled nation of Geb.  The main character in the story, however, is a human rogue named Omaire.  Blood Crimes has some of the most memorable supporting cast I've seen in Pathfinder web fiction so far, and they lend the story an air that is simultaneously clever and ghastly.  The macguffin that keeps the plot moving in this one was easily to forget about, but I definitely enjoyed this one and would love to see Omaire and her "friends" in future stories.   If I had any complaints, it would be about the artwork accompanying the story--inferior to what we've seen elsewhere.  But since it's free web fiction, I can't complain too much.

SPOILERS

I can safely say I've never read a story with a ghoul as a main character, nor one with professional zombie-impersonator.  The latter is such a clever idea for a place like Geb where anyone who's alive has to work hard to stay that way, and I think it's something I'll have to steal for one of my games.  As for the former, I'm not sure if the personality of Arduga, Omaire's ghoul companion, fits with what we generally think about ghouls; but they are intelligent creatures, so I suppose diversity is plausible.

No comments: