Monday, May 15, 2017

Faithful Servants [RPG]


NO SPOILERS

I'm a huge fan of James Sutter's work after reading the City of Strangers (Kaer Maga) sourcebook, so I was looking forward to reading Faithful Servants, his free four-part series of web fiction (available here).  I wasn't disappointed, as I was instantly thrust into a harder edged, darker part of the Pathfinder mythos than usual.  Faithful Servants starts with a scene set on another plane of existence (Axis), and it really seems like an alien place.  Not knowing a lot about the cosmology of the Golarion campaign setting, there were some elements I just didn't understand.  But, it's good to be challenged and I stuck with it and enjoyed the tale overall.  A major character from the story apparently appears in Sutter's novel, Death's Heretic, so this would be a good one to read before that.  I should also make mention of the artwork, which is a cut above what usually accompanies these stories.

SPOILERS

The main character in Faithful Servants is a worshipper of Pharasma named Salim.  In a bar on the lawful plane of Axis, Salim is approached with a curious request for aid: the eidolon of a powerful summoner on the mortal plane wants Salim to intervene because the summoner has unwittingly donned a cursed artifact and has turned towards evil necromancy!  This was the first time in Pathfinder fiction I've seen a depiction of the bond between an eidolon and a summoner, and I really appreciated the angle here that Sutter took (even if I'm still not a fan of the class).  There's some interesting stuff about Salim's relationship with Pharasma and her servants that I didn't completely get on a first read-through, so this is one I'll have to revisit just before reading Death's Heretic.  Anyway, if you like planes, curses, summoners, or necromancy, this might just be the story for you!

No comments: