Friday, August 16, 2019

Pathfinder Legends--Rise of the Runelords # 5: Sins of the Saviors [RPG]


NO SPOILERS

Now that I've listened to several of these Pathfinder Legends audio stories, I have a much better idea what to expect and I find myself really enjoying them.  I know that I won't find a faithful reproduction of everything that's in the corresponding part of the written adventure path, a lengthy description of setting, a clear narration of action scenes, or a feeling that the high price was necessarily justified.  On the other hand, I know that I will find great voice acting, several laugh-out-loud moments, an impressive amount of well-written backstory exposition, and quality sound effects and design.  Pathfinder Legends--Rise of the Runelords # 5: Sins of the Saviors fits these expectations.  If you go into it expecting a professionally-made, 1 hour audio play instead of a 15 hour audio book, you'll likely be happy.

SPOILERS

The audio version of Sins of the Saviors starts with the discovery of a sinkhole in Sandpoint.  The four Iconics who have been with us since the beginning (Merisiel, Harsk, Valeros, and Ezren) are asked by Mayor Deverin and Sheriff Hemlock to investigate.  Ezren often serves as the narrator in the tale that follows, bridging the gap for listeners when there's a large amount of travel to be summarised or exposition to share.  The search of the catacombs under Sandpoint receives a lot of attention, and the audio version does a great job with the Scribbler's voice and personality.  This part of the story also includes a good explanation of the Runelords' link to Runeforge, and why it is important for the Iconics to go there.  I was impressed.

The next part of the tale has the Iconics (accompanied by Ameiko, in a nice surprise) travel to Rimeskull.  There's an exciting scene of Ezren trying to figure out how to get the keys to open the portal to Rimeskull while the white dragon Arkryst is attacking; the way they defeat the dragon is a fun twist and perfectly justified by the text of the AP.

I knew the audio version would have to cut content from the AP somewhere, and it does.  There is absolutely no exploration of any of the various wings of Runeforge, any search for the components needed to make dominant weapons, or any interaction with the various inhabitants of the wings.  Instead, the weapons are made simply by dipping them into the central pool, after which the massive statue of Karzoug attacks.  There's a fairly exciting action scene as the heroes try to escape before the portal closes.  I can't really begrudge the lack of exploration of the wings of Runeforge, though there is some great material there that would have been fun to see adapted in story form.

Overall, like I said in the introduction, I found myself enjoying part 5 and satisfied when it was over.  I'm looking forward to seeing the big finale!

No comments: