Monday, July 5, 2021

GameMaster Spell Templates: Miniatures Skirmish Package [RPG]

 I've used the Miniatures Skirmish Package for a few years now.  It's essentially a plastic folder containing five things:

1. A 10' radius area of effect template;

2. A 20' radius area of effect template;

3. A 30' straight cone area of effect template;

4. A 30' diagonal cone area of effect template;

5. A line of sight indicator.

The area of effect templates are thick steel wire and perfect for the job--they won't bend or break, they accurately represent Pathfinder's way of doing area of effects, and you can set them right on a flip-mat without having to remove any miniatures.  I've used the 20' radius one several times (mainly for the classic fireball) because I can never remember how to do it.

The line of sight indicator is one of those retractable string things that some people use for their keys.  It's kind of a goofy idea, but it does actually work well (I find it most useful for trying to figure out distance when doing three-dimensional aerial or underwater combat.

From one perspective, these are essentially amateur products and $ 30 is a lot of money for the set.  On the other hand, these are solutions to common gaming problems and certainly better than I can do on my own.  So I think of them as worth the investment.

No comments: