Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Ambush Bug Nothing Special # 1 (DC Comics) (one-shot, 1992) [COMICS]

 "Dumb Funny" should be the motto for Ambush Bug, and I'm in!  This "Nothing Special" is full of stupid jokes and little parodies of the type that made me laugh out loud multiple times.  It's not high art, but watching Ambush Bug trawl the DC Universe looking for a job made for an enjoyable, fast-paced read.  Even the opening credits are honestly really funny.  Some of my favourite wisecracks in the story are the "British Invasion" cracks while visiting Swamp Thing (it was 1992), a job interview with Eclipso (it was 1992) in which Ambush Bug is only able to achieve a "brown out", an "origin story" for little kid Keithy Griffin's nine-panel grid, and a Silence of the Lambs parody (it was 1992) with DC boss Julie Schwartz as Buffalo Bill!  There are a ton of in-jokes, and I'm sure I missed most of them.  If you had a thirty-year-old Mad Magazine lying around, this is just as good!

No comments: