Friday, June 2, 2023

Starfinder: "Spell Cards" [RPG]

I'm not usually a fan of player-oriented card decks (like item cards) because I find them cumbersome to use and usually incomplete.  Thus, I only got the Starfinder Spell Cards box because I subscribe to the entire line.  However, playing through the Liberation of Locus-1 recently, I pulled out the box as an experiment and was pleasantly surprised.  Characters in Starfinder have a lot fewer spells to worry about than their Pathfinder equivalents, and it was easy for me and another player to quickly assemble a full spell deck.  From there, flipping through our personal decks was much faster than looking up the spells in the Core Rulebook (something I'm pretty good at!).  


Every spell in the Core Rulebook is in the deck, with longer spells getting the double-sided treatment and shorter cards having the same graphic on the back.  The cards are numbered alphabetically and contain all the information that is in the book, so they can be a complete substitute.  The only complaints I can make sort of come with the territory: if multiple players have the same spell, you'd need multiple box sets; for spells outside the Core Rulebook, you'd need to have the supplementary deck; and if the box gets tipped over, it can be a pain to get a bazillion cards back in order (something that happened to us just the other night).  Overall though, I'm happy with the product and will likely keep using it.

No comments: