Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Avengers: Terminatrix Objective


As I've mentioned in other posts, I'm not a big fan of time-travel stories because the inherent causal paradoxes make my fragile brain hurt (something that has made me less than enthusiastic about the current season of Lost). As you can imagine then, a time-travel centered miniseries like Avengers: The Terminatrix Objective (1993) is not really my cup of tea. The Marvel Universe has quite an elaborate mythos about a collection of time-manipulating warlords (known as the Council of Cross-Time Kangs or somesuch), each of whom rules an empire both "horizontally" (specific sectors or planets of the galaxy) and "vertically" (over say, the 14th through 16th centuries). Each warlord has all types of schemes and plans to extend their own empire. For whatever it's worth, I will confess this is an original and intriguing idea. Anyway, suffice it to say that in The Terminatrix Objective one of these warlords teleports three heroes to help her with some sort of task, causing one of the other warlords to teleport three different heroes to foil the plan, which causes the two groups of heroes to have the obligatory fight with each other before realizing they need to team up. This may all sound hopelessly vague and confusing, but then that's part of the reason I hate time-travel stories. Now I'm not even sure why I wrote this post. If I could go back in time and tell myself not to I would, but then I wouldn't have written the post to begin with and wouldn't have a reason to go back and tell myself not to do it which means I would still write it and well, nevermind . . .

No comments: