Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thirty Days of Graphic Novels, Day 23: "World's Finest: The Deluxe Edition"

Stumbling my way to the end, slowly and not very surely!  Today's selection:  World's Finest: The Deluxe Edition.  This hardcover collection of the well-regarded 1990 mini-series featuring Batman and Superman teaming up was something I was really looking forward to reading, because when I was a kid I only had one of the three issues and always wondered what happened in the others.  Reading it now, 20+ years later, I don't really feel like I missed much.  The central plot contrivance involving the heroes getting mixed up in trouble at an orphanage built exactly halfway between Gotham and Metropolis is clever as far as it goes, but otherwise I really can't figure out why this received the acclaim it did.  Lex Luthor and the Joker trading cities and vigilantes wasn't exactly an earth-shattering idea, the overall plot is simultaneously mundane and confusing, and the artwork, although extremely good panel-by-panel, does not aid the story-telling by failing to use good establishing shots and transitions.  Well, I guess even with Superman and Batman, you can't win them all . . .

No comments: