"You have to understand. I really do love you . . . because this . . . is gonna get nasty."
Season Two, Episode Thirteen ("Captain John returns to have his revenge on Torchwood. But who is he really working for? And how great a price must Torchwood pay to save the city?")
WHAT I LIKED
* Captain John. Probably my favorite character in the show, cast included. Admittedly, there may be some cross-over affection from Spike.
* A great, end-of-season feel. Appropriately epic (half the city gets blown up, along with the death of two major characters), but not to the point of semi-silliness like the last episode of the previous season (where a giant monster they didn't have the budget for is supposed to be trashing Cardiff).
* Gray stabbing Jack. A twist you don't see coming, and it ramps up the danger even more.
* The explanation for the apparent continuity error of Tosh appearing as a doctor in her first appearance in Doctor Who.
* Tosh's death scene. Amazing, emotional acting that pulls at the heartstrings. The best single performance in the whole series, hands down.
* Tosh's pre-planned good-bye video. Tear-jerking.
WHAT I DIDN'T
* Gwen's dumb "inspirational" speech to Cardiff's police force, treated by everyone as if she is a master of oratory. Basically, she told them to wander around and knock on people's doors. Didn't they have more pressing business, and did they really need Gwen to rally them?
* Cariff's emergency response plan. One lone technician willing to try to keep a nuclear power planet from melting down? And why is Tosh suddenly the only capable expert on nuclear power stations? Dramatic, but kinda goofy if you take a minute to think about it.
WHAT I'M NOT SURE ABOUT
* How Jack maintained his sanity, being buried alive, dying, resurrecting, and dying again in an unbroken chain for 1,800 years. I know it helped him deal with his guilt, but . . . harsh!
* The actor portraying Gray. Better than I remember from the first time I saw this episode, but I still think they could have cast better.
* (SPOILER) So presumably Gray is now buried under the rubble from the explosion of the hub in Children of Earth?
* Discussion of Captain John's characterization; filming the scene where Gray stabs Jack; filming the nuclear power station scenes and the difficulty deciding to kill off major characters; and filming Tosh's death scene.