Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Pathfinder Flip-Mat: "Elemental Planes Multi-Pack" [RPG]

 I've had the Elemental Planes Multi-Pack for a few years now, and I haven't used it as much as I thought I would.  That's not because it's bad, necessarily, but more because what it offers is pretty specific and not something that comes up often.  As a "Multi-Pack", it's two double-sided flip-mats in one cardboard sleeve.  The four sides are:

* A coral reef on the Elemental Plane of Water.  I really like the design and colouring on this one, and I could see using it in some sort of pirates campaign (looking for buried treasure on a remote atoll?) or some kind of shipwreck scene.

* A volcanic wasteland on the Elemental Plane of Fire.  You want lava?  You got it!  The colouring is great, and really pops from the mat.  Think Mustafar from Revenge of the Sith.  Alas, volcano-based battles just don't come up often enough.

* A cloud castle on the Elemental Plane of Air.  Not a fan of this one, as really any top-down castle view could be adapted to the same purpose.  I would have preferred something like floating islands amid the clouds for a livelier encounter.

* A stalagmite forest on the Elemental Plane of Earth.  I recall using this one in a Starfinder Society scenario, where it represented a generic underground area.  That being said, I like the huge chasm and the bridge, and if the stalagmites block movement and provide cover, it could be really interesting tactical challenge for a group.

Overall, I'd rate the Elemental Planes Multi-Pack as "fine."  It features sites that probably won't be used very often, but the design work is strong.

No comments: