Thursday, April 21, 2011

This is My Life


I'm finding all kinds of fun stuff as I get ready for the big move. One of my favorites is an assignment my class was given when I was maybe nine or ten years old. It's titled "This is My Life" and asked us to describe and draw what we were like at ages 1, 2-4, 5, 7, and what we would be doing at age 16 and age 25. Here, from my private files, released publicly for the first time ever . . . THIS IS MY LIFE!

AGE 1: "When I was a baby I probably cried a lot. When I was one I fell down a lot." (Picture: me on a my back shouting "OW")

AGE 2-4: "I learned to walk when I was three. When I was four I rode a tricycle." (Picture: me riding the most oddly proportioned tricycle ever--I would need arms about eight feet long to reach the handlebars)

AGE 5: "When I was 5 I started school. My teacher was Mrs. Taylor." (Picture: Me standing at a table that has seven legs, all of them on one half of the table)

AGE 7: "When I was seven years old I played t-ball. I played second base." (Picture: Me swinging a massive bat at a ball that is likely to fly over my head)

AGE 16: "When I am sixteen I am going to drive a car. I am going to get a job." (Picture: Me driving some sort of jeep that has a partially-erased machine-gun emplacement in the back. Fairly successful prognostication! I DID drive a car and have a job at 16! My car did not have a machine gun.)

AGE 25: "When I am 25, I am going to ride in my Trans Am that Nick made me and turn the radio up loud. I will make weapons for the government." (Picture: Me--captioned "me"--in a building--aptly titled "Weapons Makers"--holding a funky looking rifle. I never did get that Trans Am, nor did my plans to join the military-industrial complex ever pan out. I have, however, on occasion, turned a radio up loud.)

1 comment:

The Wife said...

This? Is AWESOME and I can't wait to show the baby when he gets old enough.

You didn't walk until you were 3? LAZY!

I never had to do an assignment quite like this, although we did have to make alphabet books for our parents for Christmas one year. My Mom still has it and puts it out at Christmas time. My book appeared to feature many family shots - all of which included "my doll" - something I did not have but WANTED from Santa that year and none of which included one thing I definitely did have but was less than fond of - my sister.