Monday, January 29, 2018

Starfinder Flip-Mat: Basic Terrain [RPG]

One of the flip-mats that launched with Starfinder is the blandly-titled Basic Terrain.  One of Paizo's normal (as opposed to "Bigger . . .") size flip-mats, Basic Terrain has two very different sides.

One side shows a red, Mars-like landscape of rock and sand.  I really like the look of it, even though (in one sense) it's pretty plain.  The dunes and mesas offer the possibility of having different elevations for different parts of the map which is a nice addition that some Starfinder Society scenarios have already taken advantage of.  On the other hand, I don't know if "red desert" is such a ubiquitous scene for space fantasy that it needs to be one-half of a "basic terrain" flip-mat.  I guess we'll have to see how many Mars-like planets turn out to be in the game.

In theory, the other side should be far more useful.  It shows modern metallic deck plating complete with rust or grease stains.  It's easy to turn this one into any corridor on Absalom Station, any engine room on a starship, any landing pad planet-side, etc.  I know I'll get a lot of use out of it.  However, there are two things about it that annoy me.  The first is that the splotches of rust/grease are dark enough that they're distracting and make it hard to use lighter-colored markers.  Plainer may have been better here. The second is that, unlike all of my other flip-mats, the creases on this side are very pronounced and often "catch" my markers, leading to some re-drawing.

Basic Terrain has the usual advantages of Paizo flip-mats: you can draw on them with pretty much any marker, they fold up nicely, the grid-lines easy to discern, etc.  It would be nice if they could change, just slightly, the size of either the squares or the mats so that the edges have full squares instead of truncated ones.  Anyway, I'd rate this one as about average.  Useful, but I'm guessing better stuff will come.

No comments: