Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Club Zero-G


I picked up Club Zero-G by Douglas Rushkoff & Steph Dumas for $ 2 in a bargain bin--that's probably the only way I would have bought it, as neither the interior artwork nor the back cover blurb made it look all that appealling. The story concerns a guy named Zeke who every night dreams he's attending a club called Zero-G, where many of his friends gather and dance all night long. The twist is that some of his friends remember having the same dream as well, and they realize that Club Zero-G is (and here I'm a bit fuzzy, so bear with me) a portal to another dimension (or the future--I'm not really sure) and they're being contacted by the equivalent of the Rebel Alliance to help fight the equivalent of the Empire, a tyrannical government which is trying to ensure that everyone has exactly the same view of reality known as Consensus. It's not badly written, but it is difficult to follow the first time through and I think the cartoony artwork doesn't do it any favors. All in all, I probably got my money's worth.

No comments: