Friday, April 23, 2010

A Gay Character for Archie Comics!


The Toronto Star has announced that a gay character will be joining the supporting cast of Archie comics. I think this is great news, especially because there seems to be a perception amongst movie, t.v., and comic book companies that gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender characters only belong in self-consciously "edgy" stories. One GLBT character in Archie is probably worth twenty series like Queer as Folk or The L-Word when it comes to increasing public awareness and acceptance of GLBT people.

Now I just wish that some of the other long-running fictional universes I follow would finally have some guts too. I'm looking at you, Star Wars, Star Trek, Lost, General Hospital, and pretty much every role-playing campaign setting I've ever played.

No comments: