Saturday, May 8, 2010

Older Adults Project

I spent part of my time this past academic year working for the Law Commission of Ontario on its Older Adults Project. It was an interesting and eye-opening experience to learn about many of the challenges faced by people over 65. My work focussed on older adults in institutional settings like nursing homes, and I researched issues such as smoking bans, dementia-related resident-on-resident violence, and conjugal relationships. After spending three years on blasphemy, it was also kind of fun to get my feet wet in a whole different area of law, and it reminded me a lot of the sort of work I used to do for the ACLU and the CCLA. I'm a big believer in permanent law reform commissions which can undertake a thorough and comprehensive review of various aspects of the legal system--it's a shame the federal commission has been treated so shabbily in recent years.

No comments: