Sunday, January 23, 2011

My Easiest Job

The easiest job I've ever had in my life was during my freshman year of undergrad at the esteemed Chadron State College (of Don Beebe & Danny Woodhead fame). After having spent all of one day stacking books at the library and deciding it was too much work, I looked around and with a careful search found the easiest job on campus: sitting at the front desk for a sparsely-inhabited residence hall. This "job", as it were, required only that I sit at the desk and, once or twice per four hour shift, answer the phone. Otherwise, it was my prerogative to eat, study, sleep, read comics, watch t.v., or go for a really long bathroom break. I actually got paid for this, pretty much the easiest job in the world.

And I still resented it and grumbled about having to show up!

As an adult, I have learned the error of my ways and would never turn down such an opportunity to be paid for loafing about. Now that I'm moving to Kingston and trying to find a part-time job, maybe I should stroll by Queen's campus and see if any residence halls are hiring?

Nah, they'd probably think I was weird . . .

3 comments:

Steve - an Av in Nebr said...

Moving to Kingston??? When is this happening (and where is Kingston)? I ask because of the direct influence it has on my being able to check out the HHOF when I finally make it to see ya hopefully sooner rather than later ... oh, and to catch a Leafs game as well...

Funny that your easiest job was there as mine was too. Of course mine wasn't a front desk job but rather "working the desk" in the Pit. That amounted to giving people balls for the pool tables and generally playing pool the entire time myself (or ping pong or whatever) before locking up for the night. Would love to have a job where I got paid to play pool again ... though hopefully being paid well enough that I could pay my bills as well. :)

Jeremy Patrick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeremy Patrick said...

Kingston is about 2 hours away from Toronto. So yeah, it's not exactly close to the Hockey Hall of Fame, but the good news we're only there for the duration of The Wife's mat-leave and then we'll be moving back.