Monday, January 31, 2011

My RC Racing Hobby


When I was maybe 9 or 10, radio-controlled cars was a popular hobby for teenagers (so much so it spawned a short-lived Archie comic). My brother, who was a few years older, was really into the hobby and had one or two of the cars plus a big stack of RC racing magazines. I don't think we ever shared any hobbies as kids, but I remember spending a lot of time talking to him about radio controlled cars and flipping through the magazines, and eventually we decided I should buy an entry-level car. Unfortunately, it cost something like $ 80 which may as well have been $ 10,000 to me at the time. I resolved that I would save up, so I taped an envelope to the wall of my room and started putting some of my leftover allowance into it.

I think I had saved around $ 3.50 before my self-control gave out and I spent the money on something else.

No comments: