Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Artemis Fowl & 100 Cupboards [Book Reviews]



I finally have almost everything unpacked now, but I had fun this past week reading some Young Adult books that weren't officially in my queue. First up was Artemis Fowl, the story of a twelve-year old criminal mastermind out to regain his family's fortune by stealing gold from the faerie kingdom. It was clever and original with surprisingly exciting action scenes and some good twists--good enough I went out and bought the next two in the series. Next up was 100 Cupboards by N.D. Wilson. I'm a sucker for stories involving everyday people stumbling upon portals to different dimensions, and this series promises 100 of them, as each cupboard in a mysterious house leads somewhere different. This book had engaging characters and an intriguing backstory, and went in some unexpected directions, so I'll definitely pick up more. I especially had fun keeping track of which cupboards have been opened via the cryptic map at the beginning of the book. Both books serve as good reminders that just because novels are advertised for kids doesn't mean adults can't find them entertaining.

No comments: