Sunday, May 8, 2011

Jhaeman's Library # 2

It's the little details that make these covers even cooler--in this one, W.W. III's toe poking out of a hole in his sock makes me laugh.


Jhaeman's Library # 2 contained columns on Silverblade and The Generic Comic, along with a series of brief reviews: the Daredevil movie (liked); The Two Towers (not as much as FotR); DC Heroclix (cool looking but boring game); Birds of Prey the T.V. show (had potential, but turned out mediocre). I also included some "Random Comics Musings", such as the following:

"I'm a big believer in continuity. I'm spent a lot of time trying to figure out why, and the best I can come up with is that it has something to do with making the stories meaningful to me. That is, if what happens in issue # 159 has no impact or influence on what happens in issue # 160, who cares what happened in # 159? Now granted, I can read dozens of novels, knowing that what happens in one has no impact on what happens in others, but when you have continuing series with continuing characters, losing sight of continuity is like watching a football game where you know the scoreboard goes back to zero-zero at halftime--it makes the first half of the game seem like a moot point. That being said, I'm not insane about it. I expect characters to remember and act consistently with previous events. I expect dead characters to be dead unless a reason is given otherwise, and so forth. However, I don't get all huffy if Stingray has a red glove on page 13 on a dark orange glove on page 14--if it has no impact on either the characters or the story, then it probably doesn't matter too much."

No comments: