Saturday, May 7, 2011

Jhaeman's Library # 1

I have a small stack of stuff to blog about, but said stack is still in one of the many unpacked boxes out in the garage. Instead, I thought I'd put up a picture of the cover to Jhaeman's Library # 1 (and probably the covers of succeeding issues over the next few weeks). Apart from being the name of my old Geocities website, Jhaeman's Library was my bi-monthly entry in a long-running comics & SF anthology zine named Legends (for all I know, Legends could still be going strong). Most of the substantive content I included in each entry has already been put up on the blog, but here and there is some new stuff I'll reprint. Honestly though, the best part of each issue of Jhaeman's Library were the awesome covers drawn by my then-partner Daniel Justice. Enjoy!


This issue included a chapter from Hell Frozen Over (my Buffy novel that maybe someday I'll get around to putting up here) along with columns on comics Jemm, Son of Saturn and Francis, Brother of the Universe. A new bit I kinda liked was my true-story introduction to the first issue:

"A Story: A long time ago, in a place far, far away (Lincoln, Nebraska) there was a girl. I was not attracted to her in any way, yet, as always, was interested in establishing my hipness. I found out she self-published her own 'zine.' A few weeks later, I attempted to interest her in conversation by asking her what sort of 'zine' she put out, pronouncing the word so that it rhymed with 'pine' or 'wine.' She snapped back at me that it's pronounced 'zeen' and gave me a look of utter disgust. Thus, this is not a 'zine.' Except when it is."

No comments: