Monday, August 8, 2011

Being and Becoming

In 2007, I took one of those major gambles in life that can have future-altering consequences. I chose to leave a full-time position teaching legal writing at a small law school in Detroit in the hopes that I could land in a Ph.D. program in Toronto and eventually earn a true tenure-track position teaching traditional doctrinal subjects like constitutional law. For the past year and more, it seemed like a pretty foolish decision: my job search went almost nowhere for quite some time and it was hard not to become discouraged and depressed. Once out of academia, I couldn't seem to find a way back in and it began to seem like I had blown my one chance. I was even planning to write a not-too-self-pitying blog post about how gambles don't always pay off, but that you should never regret gambling on yourself.

But life has a funny sense of humor, so long after I had given up on the idea and started planning to be a stay-at-home dad for a few years and then figure out another career, an application I had sent in months before and forgotten about pans out.

So, now I'm moving to Australia to become a law professor. It's the culmination of everything I've been working for over the past several years, and I am frankly ecstatic about it! I'll be teaching doctrinal courses like I've always wanted, have a course load that will allow me to continue research and writing, and, if all goes well over the next several years, I'll have the chance to earn the security for me and my family that comes with a tenured position. The people I've been communicating with at the law school have been gracious and welcoming, and the school is paying for our flights, moving expenses, temporary accommodation, etc.

Taking advantage of the opportunity does come with new challenges. Moving to another continent is a major undertaking from a logistics point of view, even if we're not moving until January. The Wife is sacrificing nearness to her cats and Kingston relatives, while our parents are sacrificing nearness to their grandson. I'm taking on the responsibility of learning a whole new legal system and becoming the family's breadwinner for the first time in years.

But despite these challenges, I know this is the right decision. Although I don't believe in fate or destiny, I do believe that there's a certain life I want to lead and a certain role in the world I want to have. This is it.

6 comments:

Steve - an Av in Nebr said...

Australia!?!?! WTH man? That's a long, long ways off.

Always wanted to go there though. More reason to now...

The Wife said...

Boomer and I are very proud of you. It will be an adventure, that's for sure!

Steve - an Av in Nebr said...

So where in Australia, will they pay for me to visit ... and when are you getting a FB to keep in touch easier and more often? :)

Jeremy Patrick said...

The answer to your first question is: an inland city of about 90,000 people an hour and a half away from Brisbane.

The answer to your second question is: probably never :)

Steve - an Av in Nebr said...

I know a couple people (from work at RCS) in the Australian and New Zealand lands ... and Lisa's dad is moving to one of the Marshall Islands for a couple years at least. Maybe I'll make it that way...

I can certainly understand not joining FB. Just have to keep at the blogs and emails...

What would the move do to your Karameikan adventure though?

Jeremy Patrick said...

The Karameikan Fist will continue unabated; the only difference is that because of the 12 hour time difference, it'll be Wednesday morning for me and Tuesday night for you :) (gaming in the morning sounds just plain WEIRD, but I like the campaign too much to let a minor thing like an intercontinental move stop me ;)