Sunday, October 14, 2012

Thirty Days of Graphic Novels, Day 22: "The Eternals"

I've never had much affection for the Eternals, as I can't say I ever really connected to any of them--they all just seemed somewhat distant and uninteresting.  Neil Gaiman's recent take was really good though, and I could imagine reading more if he were writing them.  The series begins with a good conceit: the Eternals are locked in mortal form, with little memory of their former lives.  I won't spoil who's behind it, but it's both interesting and clever.  The series actually fits in with Marvel continuity well, with the aftermath of the Civil War lurking in the background.  I still wouldn't rank the Eternals among my favorites, but Gaiman successfully reinvented them while remaining true to their original versions.  Good stuff.

No comments: