Monday, May 21, 2018

Pathfinder Flip-Mat: Bigger Basic [RPG]


Bigger Basic is one of those flip-mats that sounds (and is) incredibly boring but is almost indispensable.  I've made do for years with homemade grids (permanent marker squares on large whiteboards), but since I've picked up a couple of copies of Bigger Basic, I rarely need to use the old ones.  The mats are rectangles 39 squares long and 27 squares wide, so a couple of them side by side cover my entire gaming table.  As usual with Paizo flip-mats, they accept wet, dry, or even permanent marker, and I've put them through their paces over the past several months and have never had any problems.  One side is "smooth stone" and the other side is "fine dirt", but honestly the light tan or light brown (or whatever--don't ask me about color) fades nicely into the background of whatever is being drawn on it.  They also fold up nicely into a book-sized package for easy transport and display (and finding) on a shelf.  All in all, sometimes boring is good when it's done well like this.

No comments: