Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Pathfinder Legends--Rise of the Runelords # 3: Hook Mountain Massacre [RPG]

NO SPOILERS

I've written about how these audio adaptations work in earlier reviews, so I'll cut to the chase more here.  The voice acting remains great, as do the sound effects.  Given the lack of narration, it's still hard to visualize what's happening sometimes, especially in the action scenes where you just hear a lot of grunting and clanging of steel.  Below, in the Spoilers section, I discuss some of the plot changes that were made.  For the most part, I think the adaptation succeeds.  Once you know what you're getting (a roughly one-hour "stage play" and not a full "audiobook"), these become more acceptable (though still pricey).

SPOILERS

There are some interesting plot changes for the audio adaptation of The Hook Mountain Massacre.  After listening to the previous two Rise of the Runelords adaptations, I was prepared for some cuts: here, there's no Shalelu or her step-father subplot, Fort Rannick is almost completely abandoned (instead of filled with ogres), no attack on Turtleback Ferry by Black Magga, and there's no detour into the Shimmerglens (or the resulting Lamatar Bayden subplot).  What I wasn't expecting is that some story elements would be added.  First, there's a lot more of Lucrecia in the audio adaptation then in the written version, and the addition works really well to help tie-in the "meta-plot" of the entire Adventure Path.  She encounters the heroes not just at Fort Rannick, but also on top of the dam (in a really cool, cinematic battle) and has well-written dialogue that helps explain some of the "behind the scenes" storyline.  It becomes clear, for example, why the ogres are trying to destroy the dam (something that has remained a mystery for the PCs in my RotRL campaign).  Second, Kaven Windstrike is given a more prominent role and a redemption storyline that sees him sacrificing himself at the dam!  I was less impressed by this change, and I think it came across a bit cliche.  Apart from the actual additions, it's clear that the script writer took the time to become really familiar with the AP so that little details could be added to make the storyline more coherent.  Overall, I thought the audio adaptation did a nice job of handling the chapter and (now that I have a better idea what to expect from these), I find myself looking forward to the next one.

No comments: