Monday, May 21, 2018

Pathfinder Flip-Mat: Hill Country [RPG]


Hill Country is a standard-size Paizo flip-mat (24x30 inches).  One side depicts a path leading between a couple of ridges and into a cave, while the other side shows a high rocky-outcropping and a narrow path leading to the top of a bluff.  I've used the mat a couple of times (as both a player and as a GM), and my verdict is that it's okay, but not great.  It's very pretty (especially the side with the winding path leading to the hill top) with great texture and colour for the ground, boulders, hillsides, etc.  As always, the ability to use any kind of marker is fantastic.  However, one problem I have with some of the Paizo flip-mats is that the scenes they depict are almost too memorable! I want to use them again and again without players joking about how they've come to the exact same distinctive hilltop or next to (yet another) group of rune-etched standing stones.  I also don't like how both sides of the mat have paths cutting through them, because sometimes I like my wilderness adventures to be track-free and it's not as much fun to have stuff like difficult terrain if a path nicely takes the PCs around it (plus, I can easily draw a path on any map).  Still, depending on your needs you might get more out of this than I have.  I will suggest that GMs sit down before an encounter and mark elevations (and Climb DCs) of features on the mat--it will save a lot of time during the session when PCs try to scale cliffsides, ask how tall a boulder is, etc.

No comments: