Tuesday, November 13, 2018

The Edge of Darkness [Cthulhu]

I got my first chance to play Call of Cthulhu in several(!) years last month, as I ran a trio of of players new to the game through the core rulebook's adventure "The Edge of Darkness."  I bribed (literally) the players to stay in character the whole time, set up the atmosphere reasonably well by playing via candlelight in intimate surroundings, and did my best to recall the very different set of GM skills that a game like Cthulhu calls for compared to Pathfinder (where most of my RPG focus has been for the last few years).  I had a blast running the session.  The scenario is a fairly straightforward, as the PCs are friends or relatives of a dying man who leaves them the deed to an abandoned farmhouse and cryptic instructions to put right a great evil that was accidentally summoned there.  In essence, the PCs have to complete a ritual while a terrifying monster tries its best to trick or force them to stop, but there's enough detail and little touches that it all comes together well.  The players did a great job too. It was a very satisfying one-shot session, and I still hope that someday, with the stars are right, I might be able to get a campaign together again.

No comments: