Monday, June 29, 2009

Stepping Out

Although Pride has come to an end (at least here in Toronto, where I live at the epicenter of GLBT-ness, near Church & Wellesley), it'll continue on this blog: now that I've finished reprinting my magazine articles, I'm going to start adding some stuff I wrote for Stepping Out.

Stepping Out was the first GLBT monthly newspaper in Lincoln, NE. It was started by a lesbian couple in 2000, around the time when a major anti-gay amendment was added to the state constitution. Beginning with the first issue, I signed on to write book reviews and--if you can believe it--an advice column! My short-lived emulation of Dear Abby required a bi female to counterbalance my bi-maleness, so it was a joint advice column titled Queeriosity (hey, it seemed clever at the time). The advice column only last four issues (simply put, only one person ever wrote in, so we had to make up both questions and answers), but I wrote book reviews through issue # 7 and then I guess I just got too busy (my memory of why I left Stepping Out is fuzzy; as is my memory of how long it continued).

Believe it or not, I even had my one starring turn as a cartoonist, which featured a drawing of me dispensing "Words of Wisdom" while dressed in a cape with tights and the logo "Super J" on my chest. Yes, really. I had a goatee and everything.

No comments: