Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Sin Eaters


I can't find the Torchwood audio books in stores, so I hacked into my sig-other's account and downloaded The Sin-Eater from ITunes (shh!). This was a far more substantial (2 hours +) story than the shorter (45 minute) ones recently released by the BBC. Gareth David-Lloyd (who plays Ianto) is a good narrator, and does a surprisingly nice Captain Jack and Rhys. It also has the Torchwood theme and background music, though no sound effects per se.

The story itself has some similarities with Something in the Water insofar as they both concern an alien menace lurking in Cardiff Bay. In The Sin-Eater, swarms of tiny, insect-like aliens prey on human guilt and shame--which seems like a pretty good deal, until those humans start turning up dead.

The story is really atmospheric and scary, especially towards the end. There's great interaction between Captain Jack and Ianto (who is given quite a strong personality) and between Rhys and Gwen. My favorite moment, although it bordered on cheesy, was finding out that the Torchwood SUV was designed to convert into an aquatic vehicle--except the design fails miserably, and the SUV begins to sink within seconds.
The only difficult thing I find with the audio books is when/how to listen to them--that is, it feels a little weird just lying on the couch and listening to one, but if I do much else I find I'm not paying as much attention to the story.

1 comment:

The Sig Other said...

Dude....that was YOU? I thought maybe I was sleep down-loading...Itunes accounts should be sacred! :-)