Monday, July 20, 2009

Torchwood Magazine # 15


I can't wait to see Torchwood: Children of the Earth which airs tonight (in Canada) on Space. Until then, I must content myself with Torchwood Magazine # 15, the first one I've read in the series. Along with the usual snippets of info about upcoming books and merchandise, it has a lot of behind the scenes stuff about Children of the Earth (which I've avoided due to potential spoilers), an interview with John Barrowman, part two of a short story (which I'm skipping until I get part 1), and the first installment of a five-part comic strip Broken, which features Captain Jack, Gwen, and Ianto investigating strange disappearances at a hotel--this strip was far better than the strips collected in Rift War, and had great artwork and witty dialogue.
UPDATE: I managed to track down the previous issue and have thus read both parts of the short story Gordian by Steve Savile which features a planet-eating alien entity. I don't think the story was necessarily a terrible idea, but it's simply too big and cataclysmic and dramatic to really work in short story form--as the capstone episode in a five-part miniseries like Children of Earth, maybe.

No comments: