Sunday, August 16, 2009

In the Presence of Mine Enemies


In the Presence of Mine Enemies was a 1973 one-shot in the Spire Christian Comic line. From advertisements in the inside front and back covers, it's apparently an adaptation of the book of the same name, which tells the true story of Howard Rutledge's time as a POW in Vietman, but with a heavy emphasis on Christian faith. A fellow POW, Jim Stockdale is mentioned--he would later go on to be Ross Perot's 1992 Vice-Presidential running mate (Stockdale was quite hilariously--and unfairly--portrayed as a senile old man by Phil Hartman on Saturday Night Live). Even I'm not crass enough to make fun of the POW experience, but I gotta tell you that the back cover is my favorite thing about the book--it's an ad for several other titles in the Spire Christian Comic line, including The Gospel Blimp, God's Smuggler, and my personal favorite The Cross and the Switchblade ("I could kill you preach!" "Yes, you could Nicky . . .You could cut me up in a thousand pieces . . . And every piece will say I love you.")

No comments: