Thursday, December 23, 2010

Ten Things I Really Like But For Some Reason Hardly Ever Blog About

Ten Things That I Really Like But for Some Reason Hardly Ever Blog About

1. The Wheel of Time Series By Robert Jordan. Gives new meaning to the term "epic fantasy." Were I stuck on a deserted island with only one book series, this would be it. The most exciting, moving action scenes I've ever read, a fascinating account of magic, layered myth-making, political manipulation portrayed masterfully, destiny and self-determination clashing time and time again. What I always dreamed fantasy role-playing games could be (and have always remained disappointed).

2. Mystery Science Theater 3000 (and off-shoots) It's not just funny, it's a certain unique kind of humor that combines wit with the sheer absurdity of terrible movies. One of the few things that has made me laugh until I've cried on multiple occasions. Newbies: start with the movie or my personal favorite, Space Mutiny. Modern off-shoots include Cinematic Titanic (try East vs. Watts), Rifftrax (which adds commentary to mainstream movies and some crappy ones; try Battlefield: Earth or Planet of the Dinosaurs), and The Film Crew (now defunct).

3. Preacher Vile, hilarious, and oddly moving comic series that's been collected in trade paperbacks. One of those things that is so good that I ration myself rather than gulp down all at once.

4. My Family A British sit-com series. When I first moved to Canada, I watched a re-run of this show every weeknight. Not exactly revolutionary, but reliably hilarious.

5. Five Bands a) The Afghan Whigs--probably the best live show I've ever been to; b) The Killers--what I listen to to get rev'd up; c) The Cranberries--I can't explain it either; d) She Wants Revenge--dark and sexy; e) The New Radicals--one and done, but worth it.

6. Claudia on General Hospital The most compelling character I've seen on a soap, tragically self-destructive.

7. On Liberty by John Stuart Mill The foundation of pretty much everything I believe about politics and civil liberties.

8. Last Night on Earth Zombie B-Movie themed board game involving tactical combat, interesting and varied victory conditions, and appropriately cheesy cinematic cards.

9. Mysteriously Yours! Mystery Dinner Theatre Amiable fun suitable for birthdays, anniversaries, Valentine's Day, New Year's Eve, etc. I've probably been a dozen times and have never won. Someday!

10. Firefly & Serenity If I had an extra $ 40 million or so, this is the one t.v. show I would subsidize new episodes of. And as for Serenity, it's the only movie I saw six times in the theater and would happily see six more times.

Well, I've shown you mine. Now it's your turn to show me yours.

1 comment:

Bal said...

Since I don't have a blog it will be easy to write about 10 things that I "really like but don't ever blog about"... :-P

1- NHL/Hockey : This one is pretty obvious. Hockey has not only become my favorite sport but gone well beyond that. I love the game at all levels, and not just enjoy watching my favorite team(s) but watching any hockey and also following the junior leagues, the drafts, the prospects, the international tournaments. Without doubt if I had a blog it would be dominated with hockey related posts.

2- Gaming : I don't do much of it anymore, very little outside of some simple Facebook games in fact (which tend to get boring quick so I jump from game to game), but I still love it. Few games have truly ever held my attention to great extents but pen-and-paper gaming and WoW certainly top the list (others such as EA's NHL series and the Neverwinter Nights type games would also be up there). I don't play either currently but I have had great, great times in both and would love to get back into both (though don't know that I will). I would likely blog about past experiences, current thoughts, and of course whatever playing I may do in the future.

3- Movies : I love watching movies and would certainly write at least short blogs about what I see ... and would also write about differences between the movie and the book where it fit and I found worth doing.

4- Books : I don't read as quickly as I wish I did but I still do read and would write about what I read. (Currently reading "Under the Dome" by Stephen King. Btw, I heard a Game of Thrones series is extremely good and better than the Wheel of Time (per some). Ever tried it?)

5- TV series : Both present and past, I do watch some tv. :) There aren't a lot of current programs I watch (Ghost Hunters, Fact or Faked,...) but I do watch some including some reality tv with Lisa. I also am nearly through Lost and have a number of other series in my Netflix instant queue coming up.

6- Travels : I don't travel much yet but I have a sizable list of places I want to go, both in and out of the States. In fact we want to visit all 50 states eventually and last year took a trip to the Black Hills and one to Texas, both of which I could have wrote about.

7- (at this point I realize that using specifics instead of generalizations would have helped in getting to 10 :-P ) - Current science topics : I found a great site a while back that had all sorts of new science articles daily. From astronomy to biology to whatever ... it had a lot of great articles and while I haven't gone there recently it is certainly a site worth bookmarking and had stuff I'd talk about. (http://www.sciencedaily.com/)

8-10 - Since I didn't get specific and my generalizations are getting harder to think of I'll group the last three into "misc things" such as food (both what I got somewhere and things I try to make), lists of things I want to do or see or try or whatever, and other random topics.

I suppose the biggest reason I haven't started a blog already is that I do write "notes" a bit on my FB which is similar to blogging in a way, and honestly I like the interaction of the writings and wonder how much response I'd honestly get from a blog (I get extremely little from my FB notes)...