Monday, June 27, 2011

A Boomer Month

[For some reason, half of this post is underlined, and I can't figure out how to make it go away . . .]

Boomer's one-month birthday is today, and he's doing great. He can roll over from his tummy to his back, is eating like a champ and (apart from a couple notable exceptions) sleeps through the night. He's had his first stroller ride, his first favorite toy (a little stuffed bear that, for some reason, has a dinosaur on its chest), and got taken out to see his first movie (X-Men: First Class). He still only sleeps when being held, so I'm still on night duty. In a couple of months, he'll be old enough to "Ferberize" (a sleep-training method) and that should result in a more normal schedule for me (paramount, since I need to find gainful employment in September). The Wife has been holding up like a trooper and it's been much easier with the in-laws here to help out.

When he sleeps well, my nights go by pretty fast: I read, watch TV, or blog like this on my IPhone. I mentioned in an earlier post how I read comics to him (even when he's asleep, which people think is funny), and I just finished an old digest of Metal Men adventures. I had never read non-team-up adventures of them before, and their first two adventures were quite the time capsule. Their scientist-creator's tortured love affair with the ostensibly female Platinum was my favorite part (sample dialogue: "But I can't love you, Platinum--you're a machine!"). I've also rediscovered my earliest pop culture obsession, GI JOE, through daily cartoons (and now comics...). Old episodes of shows like Batman:TAS and The Real Ghostbusters along with solid new shows like Haven, Lost Girls, and Todd and the Book of Pure Evil (my favorite) help me keep trekking until dawn.

It's Boomer/Daddy time that won't last forever, so I'm really enjoying it while I can!

No comments: