Tuesday, July 19, 2011
"The hero always gets the girl."
Season Two, Episode Nine ("As Gwen Cooper prepares to walk down the aisle with Rhys, something has hitched a lift inside her.")
WHAT I LIKED
* Gwen waking up to realize she's hugely pregnant. What a pre-title sequence hook!
* Seeing characters we've heard about but that haven't been depicted before: Banana Boat, Rhys' folks, Gwen's folks, etc. Main characters in genre shows always seem more real when they've been fleshed out with friends and relatives.
* The killing of the Nostrovite: hilarious, and both Jack and Rhys get some heroic moments.
* The ending: Ret-con spiked punch was an elegant solution, and seeing Jack and Ianto dance is a moving testament to how far we've come.
WHAT I DIDN'T
* Nothing really. Intentionally light-hearted episodes can be risky and easily turn stupid, but this one worked.
WHAT I'M NOT SURE ABOUT
* The photo of Jack and his wife. Does it fit in with what's revealed in Children of Earth?
* Deciding locations for the wedding.
* Filming the breakaway window.
* The Jack/Gwen/Rhys triangle.
* Developing make-up for the Nostrovite victims.
* Filming the scene in the stables.