Friday, July 27, 2012

Thirty Days of Graphic Novels, Day Six "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 1"

I remember reading this years ago and just thinking it was okay, but this time around I absolutely loved it.  I think part of the difference is, thanks to an online annotation I read after each issue, I have a better appreciation at just how much work, references, and little easter eggs to Victorian literature that Moore put into it, along with artwork by Kevin O'Neill that perfectly encapsulates the feel of the story.  It's also simply quite funny in spots, and I got a kick out of the over-the-top action scenes starring Hyde (seeing him literally rip people apart puts him a notch above the Hulk!).  Reading this made me look forward to re-reading Volume 2 (especially with all the subtle clues to the oncoming invasion) and reading for the first time the League stories that Moore has done since (here's hoping the library cooperates . . .).  It also makes me want to go back and read or re-read the "real" adventures of the members of the League; I've never read any of Verne's novels featuring Captain Nemo, for example (I have read books involving all of the others).

Good stuff.

No comments: