Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Thirty Days of Graphic Novels, Day Three: "Ted McKeever's Metropol Volume 4"

I bought this used some years back, not realizing it was volume 4.  Coming into the middle of a story can be confusing to the reader with no fault attributable to the writer, but I managed to figure things out pretty well by the time I was done.  Metropol is a city infested with thousands and thousands of demons, and a wall has been built around the city to keep the infestation from spreading.  While the demons prey on humans, four of the humans have been reborn(?) as angels.  As volume 4 begins, the angels are raiding a gun shop to stock up for the battles to come; they pick up everything from machine guns to bazookas to (somehow) tactical nukes.  They then get in a battle with some demons and blow them away. It's actually kinda fun, if very weird, and one clearly gets the sense that more is happening behind the scenes that will be revealed in later volumes.

The artwork is . . . well, unique.  I'm not much of a judge of art, and I understand McKeever has won several awards.  To me it looks atrocious; the disfigured anatomy and faces works just fine for the demons, but the humans and angels don't look much better and it's sometimes hard to tell what's happening during action sequences.

All in all, it's not the sort of thing I want to rush out and buy . . . but if someone were to give me the remaining volumes, I wouldn't complain.

No comments: