Friday, May 15, 2009

Blasphemy in Pre-Criminal Code Canada

I'm happy to report that I've finished the next chapter in my dissertation, Blasphemy in Pre-Criminal Code Canada: Two Sketches. It looks at the history of Canada's legal prohibition on blasphemy through case studies of two time periods: Quebec in the New France era and rural Ontario in the early 1800s. It's been a frustrating chapter to write for several reasons: the Quebec legal documents are illegible (at least to me and a couple of people I've shown them to), not because they're in French but because they're in faded handwriting; the Ontario documents are sparse, with little more than a single indictment or affidavit for an entire case; and I spent way more time on the chapter than was justified by the scanty number of pages it turned out to be. I think I got the most out of the materials that I could, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm happy with the outcome. The good news is that now I can turn my attention to another chapter of the dissertation, hopefully with better results.

No comments: