Monday, April 20, 2009

DC Universe RPG

Apart from the current mini-campaign I'm playing in and my goofy teenaged experience with Gabriel Knight, I've only been involved in one other super hero role-playing game. Back in 2001, my then-best friend and I tried out the DC Universe RPG. The campaign only lasted two sessions but I remember the setting as being fun but the game mechanics being difficult to pick up. My friend played a super-hero named (I think) the Mosquito (the first session was an "origin story" complete with standard radiation-induced powers), while I directed and ran an NPC hero named the Humanist (yeah, kinda wish fulfillment there) and NPC super-villains like the Executioner (who was armed with gimmicks like a Lethal Injection Gun and a Noose of Death). We played in the four-color, rather light setting of Superman's Metropolis, complete with S.T.A.R. Labs, the S.C.U., LexCorp, and more. For each session, I started by giving out the front page of a mock Daily Planet that contained clues to what the session's adventure would be--a decent gimmick that I'd probably recycle if I ever directed super heroes again.

For posterity's sake, here's the stats for the Humanist

HERO NAME: Humanist
REAL NAME: Alex Sokofska
OCCUPATION: Undergraduate Philosophy/Science
BASE OF OPERATIONS: Gotham State University
GENDER: M
HEIGHT: 6'1
EYE COLOR: Blue
RACE: C
MARITAL STATUS: Single
WEIGHT: 155
HAIR COLOR: Black
TECH LEVEL: Post-Modern

ADVANTAGES
Observant
Tech Level: Post-Modern
Spec. Equip.: Baton
Spec. Equip: Shield

DISADVANTAGES
Enemy: Religious Fanatics
Secret Identity
Argumentative

SPEED: 30 ft.round
PDV: 3
UNARMED BDV: 1
PIL BONUS: 1
HERO POINTS: 1
VILLAIN POINTS: 0
CHAR. POINTS: 15
BODY POINTS: 29

REFLEXES [Base 3d]: Acrobatics (4d), Climbing (4d), Dodge (5d), Martial Arts (5d), Melee Weapon: Baton (5d)

COORDINATION [Base 2d]

PHYSIQUE [Base 2d]: Leap (3d)

KNOWLEDGE [Base 4d]: Research (5d), Computers (5d), Scholar: Philosophy (6d), Science: Electronics (6d)

PERCEPTION [Base 2d]: Engineering (3d), Invention (4d)

PRESENCE [Base 2d]

EQUIPMENT

Force-Shield: 12 AV, Physical Attacks Only, One round to activate

Electro-Baton: 7d, Uses Martial Arts skill, affects only living creatures

No comments: