Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Last Issue Special # 6: Justice


SERIES: Justice

DATE: 1989

THOSE RESPONSIBLE: Peter David (writer); Howard Mackie (editor). For some reason the colorist is credited as "Don't Ask." But I really want to.

CATEGORY: ACCEPTANCE

First of all, I've always loved that cover blurb, "# 32 in a Thirty-Two Issue Limited Series." Comics need more self-deprecating wit like that. Justice was one of the few New Universe titles to make it past the first year, though it had a major reboot--the details are vague in my memory, but I think the main character, Tensen, went from being an other-dimensional fantasy realm type to a hardnosed paranormal investigator. According to the frontispiece, his current mission is "to travel the land, find other paranormals . . . and judge whether or not they are using their powers properly."

Apart from the cover blurb and the words "Now, the end" on the frontispiece, there's no mention this is the final issue, but it seems like the main storyline is wrapped up as Tensen becomes the permanent sitting judge for paranormal disputes in the Coney Island area, leaving the reader with these final thoughts: "They look at me, and in their eyes I see hope . . . need . . .a plea for fairness. But no fear. Finally . . . I am home."

No comments: