Friday, April 10, 2009

Gabriel Knight

A few weeks back, in the context of discussing that I was playing in a new super-hero RPG, I mentioned that back when I was a teenager and played in a super-hero campaign, I made, for some completely inexplicable reason, a private investigator named Gabriel Knight who had no super powers but instead massive expertise with his pistol. (I'll save for another day the story of my sci-fi character "Eboni Snoe" who similarly had nothing going for him other than a massively-powerful blaster pistol.) I'm pretty sure I swiped the name "Gabriel Knight" from the name of a computer game series (one I hadn't played but had heard of).

Under my description of the character, I wrote only "Wears trenchcoat. Smokes cigarettes." The cigarette-smoking was actually a major feature of the character, both in role-playing and because he had a special trait that if he ever went more than an hour without one, he started taking a hefty amount of damage every round.

I honestly have no recollection of the few sessions in which I played this character, other than that the story ended on a never-resolved cliffhanger with him trapped in a grain silo with a Joker-like super-villain responsible for the dastardly deed. Looking at my old character sheet for him, I'm not even sure what gaming system we used or even what many of the abbreviations stand for. I do remember really like how much you could customize characters and that if you took Disadvantages you got extra points to spend on stuff you wanted and Disadvantages made for better role-playing. For some reason, he's very noir except for some Dick Tracy tech like a wrist communicator and a "rebreather."

Now, because you didn't demand it but I managed to unearth it, I present to you: Gabriel Knight, Private Investigator!

GABRIEL KNIGHT

Str: 15
Dex: 15
Con: 10
Body: 15
Int: 13
Ego: 10
Pre: 13
Com: 10
PD: 8
ED: 8
SPD: 4
REC: 5
END: 20
STUN: 40

Final OCV: 21

Final DCV: 12

PD/rPD: 8/12
ED/rED: 8/12
ECV: 3

SKILLS/POWERS/TALENTS + END/Roll

Concealment (3 pts): 12

Shadowing (3 pts): 11

Stealth (3 pts): 12

Bugging (1 pt): 8

Bureaucracies (1 pt): 8

Computer Programming (1 pt): 8

Criminology (3 pts): 12

Interrogation (1 pt): 8

Lockpicking (1 pt): 8

Off. Strike -2, +4d6 (5 pts)

Security Systems (3 pts): 12

Streetwise (3 pts): 11

Contact: CIA Agent (1 pt): 8

P.I. License (2 pts.)

Concealed Weapon Permit (2 pts.)

+7 DCV (35 pts).

+16 OCV Gun (32 pts.)

WF: Gun (1 pt.)

DISADVANTAGES

Dependent Cigarettes (1 hr/3d6)

Distinguishing Feature: Trenchcoat

Watched by NYPD <>

Normal Character Max Attributes

Code: Police Procedure

Susceptible to Teleport (3d6)

EQUIPMENT

Kevlar w/ Inserts (Def=12)

Trenchcoat

Concealed Weapons License

P.I.'s License

Handcuffs

Cigarettes

9 mm Browning (5 clips)

$ 827

Wrist Communicator

Rebreather

1 Havana

No comments: