Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Torchwood: Something in the Water


I've gotten hooked on Torchwood. I have no idea why everyone on the net didn't think very highly of the first season (which I'm about halfway through), but I love the darker, sexier, gorier tone of the show. A guy should follow his passions, so I picked up my first Torchwood novel, Something in the Water by Trevor Baxendale. I really like the handsome design of the books, small hardcovers with nice cover art--though I don't know why they put a blank page at the end of each of the book's 29 short chapters, which basically means over ten percent of the book is blank pages. But anyway, it was an enjoyable, fast-paced read that captured what I've seen of the show quite well. It has the usual "evil alien (are there any other kind on Torchwood?) has come to Earth to cause a ruckus" plot, but the "water hag" alien reproduces like something out of . . . well, Alien. It's a damn gory & gross book, though unfortunately without the sex and profanity of the show. I'll definitely pick up another one in the series to see what I think--I'd consider some of the Doctor Who books, but I've heard they're written more for a younger crowd.

Return to Torchwood Main Page

No comments: