Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Le Crime de Culdéric


As the Toronto Reference Library had a big sell of withdrawn books, I managed to pick up a few French novels to help with my daily hour-or-so quasi-immersion. First up was Le Crime de Culdéric by Francine Pelletier, a teen novel about a girl named Maxine who is friendly with the eponymous ghost Culdéric. Only, Maxine's friend Damien encounters a second ghost, that of a recently-murdered young woman named Karine. Basically, it's who killed Karine, and why won't Culdéric help? I can't say it was an awesome novel, but I did like some of the small touches: for example (as far as I can tell with my rudimentary French), Maxine is madly in love with Damien and considers him her boyfriend, but Damien never really seems to notice. I didn't realize until a few chapters in that this was the third (and apparently last) novel in a series about these characters, but I didn't feel like I missed much.

No comments: