Monday, January 11, 2010

Buffy Fan Fiction Challenge, Part II

Way back in October, I posted Part I of the Buffy Fan Fiction Challenge, in which my wife challenged me to read three chapters of Lori's Fan Fiction. I was kinda mean, in retrospect--after all, I've written plenty of fan fiction myself and the definition of fan fiction is that it's not professional material.

Tonight, for Part II, I read the chapter "Ch-ch-changes", which starts with Spike and Giles (good friends in this alternate end to Season Six) arriving back in Sunnydale just in time to stop Willow from going batshit crazy and destroying the planet. The plot here concerns two demons known as Tollers, because they act as door openers for major demonic entities: in this case, the door just happens to be the Hellmouth. The Scoobies and friends mount up and go demon hunting before that can happen.

I liked the concept of the Tollers, even though they're not really fleshed out very much (they have electrical and cyclone powers it appears). It's competent, if not original: I could see the plot making an eight-page backup in the original line of Buffy comics (comics which, to my mind, encapsulated the definition of mediocre--not really terrible, but not particularly memorable either). I still find the buddy-buddy Giles and Spike friendship really weird to read, but there was one moment that made me laugh: Spike, in his interior monologue, trying to wax poetically about the cloudy night, making a hash out of it, and realizing that even after 120 years he makes a crap poet.

1 comment:

The Wife said...

What I like about the Giles/Spike friendship is that it gives them a bond based on the fact that they are both in a way, living their lives as "characters" they created. Spike as the sensitive poet turned brutual killer, Giles as the chaos loving bad boy turned buttoned up librarian. I think that is the idea that Lori captures - that deep down, they have alot in common.