Thursday, January 7, 2010

Fantasy Football: Weeks 16 & 17

Hm, if I only I had done so well in the regular season as I have in the playoffs. I won the second round of the consolation ladder (combining weeks 16 and 17) by a narrow margin of 160-152. I actually lost week 16 because I forgot to pull Peyton Manning and Pierre Garcon (they didn't play much since the Colts had everything wrapped up), but I made up enough ground the following week to get the overall win, mainly because my opponent's team suffered a couple of key injuries. For Week 17, I subbed in Brett Favre (the second time I've played him all season) and Mike Wallace (the Pittsburgh WR)--they both came up big, with Favre pulling in 28 and Wallace 12.

The win moved from the last ranked team in the league of ten teams when I entered the playoffs to the # 7 team when the playoffs were over. I have a much better idea now how fantasy football works in terms of scoring and drafting, so I think I'll be able to improve next season. When I first signed up, I was curious whether fantasy football would be any fun--I can happily report it added a little to my enjoyment of watching the games, because I was not only rooting for teams but also for individual players around the league. It's also not very time-consuming (blogging about takes far longer than tinkering with my depth chart). The one disappointment is the particular league I played in was very quiet--no trades as far as I could tell.

WEEK 16

SUN RUNNERS: 87 Points

QB Peyton Manning, Ind QB 7
RB Ricky Williams, Mia RB 5
RB Jonathan Stewart, Car RB 27
RB/WR Beanie Wells, Ari RB 14
WR Chad Ochocinco, Cin WR 9
WR Pierre Garcon, Ind WR 0
TE Fred Davis, Was TE 2
D/ST Steelers D/ST, Pit D/ST 10
K David Akers, Phi K 13

GREENVILLE GONZOS: 95 Points

QB Tom Brady, NE QB 26
RB LaDainian Tomlinson, SD RB 17
RB Pierre Thomas, NO RB 12
RB/WR Knowshon Moreno, Den RB 8
WR Marques Colston, NO WR 5
WR Wes Welker*, NE WR 13
TE Heath Miller, Pit TE 3
D/ST Vikings D/ST, Min D/ST -3
K Mason Crosby, GB K 14

WEEK 17

SUN RUNNERS: 75 Points

QB Brett Favre, Min QB 28
RB Ricky Williams, Mia RB 3
RB Jonathan Stewart, Car RB 18
RB/WR Beanie Wells, Ari RB 1
WR Chad Ochocinco, Cin WR 0
WR Mike Wallace, Pit WR 12
TE Fred Davis, Was TE 4
D/ST Steelers D/ST 8
K David Akers, Phi K -1

GREENVILLE GONZOS: 57 Points

QB Tom Brady, NE QB 5
RB LaDainian Tomlinson, SD RB 1
RB Pierre Thomas, NO RB 0
RB/WR Knowshon Moreno, Den 21
WR Marques Colston, NO 0
WR Wes Welker*, NE WR 1
TE Heath Miller, Pit TE 11
D/ST Vikings D/ST 11
K Mason Crosby, GB K 7

1 comment:

Bal said...

I've never done fantasy football but I started a couple fantasy hockey leagues earlier this year. I was actually leading 2 of the four after a couple months and in the top half of the other two but then I lost time to keep track of injuries and who and wasn't playing during the week. I'm still middle of the pack on all of them even though I have been inactive the last couple months and am quite a few man games behind everyone else.

I think if I do it again next year and can keep on top of who's playing when and who is hurt, along with the knowledge I have now about the importance of carrying at least three goalies as opposed to two, I could do extremely well...

Maybe I'll have to broaden my horizons into a fantasy football league as well next season...