Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Mystery of the Mary Celeste


The Mystery of the Mary Celeste is another of the "hidden object" computer games that my wife and play play frequently. She really loves that type of game for some reason, and I find them relaxingly easy, so it's a good way to spend a couple of hours together. This one has at its core the usual activity of trying to spot stuff hidden in cluttered backgrounds, but with occasional puzzles to provide some variety. (I see that "walkthroughs" have been posted on the Net--who the heck needs a walkthrough for a hidden object game? They're almost completely linear, and if you really can't find a particular hidden object, there's a hint feature . . . ) The "plot" of these types of games is usually pretty simple, and this one concerns a voyage on the Mary Celeste II on which strange phenomena hearkening back to the disappearance of the original ship begin to occur. There's a generic "twist ending" which doesn't proffer any sort of explanation for what really happened, but then who plays these games for the story?

1 comment:

The Wife said...

I think I like these games for the same reason you do - it is a relatively easy and enjoyable way to spend a few hours playing a game together. I enjoy other types of "mystery" games, but you can sometimes get stuck on those - these are simple and relaxing. Also, we seem to come across these more often than other types of games...

Agree on the comment about walk-throughs - I mean, really?

I will say that this one had some nice background elements that made it a bit creepier than I expected. Example: The sound of a mysterious baby crying while you're trying to solve the puzzle.