Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Urtavius Belerophon


Urtavius Belerophon was a character I created for a short-lived Ravenloft campaign and one I would like to port over to another setting sometime. Ravenloft has a lot of classic Dungeons & Dragons elements (in that, at heart, it's fantasy sword and sorcery), but with a classic horror bent--vampires, werewolves, and the supernatural plays a big part of the game. I wanted a character that fit a darker sort of game, even one that could, if possible, unnerve the other players (and/or their characters).

Urtavius was meant to be, or at least to seem, downright mad. He was bombastic--variously giving himself grand, contradictory titles like "Grand Admiral," "Marshall-General", and "Divine Emperor". He was paranoid--often seeing conspiracies where there were none, speaking as if he knew more about what people were up to then they did themselves. Last, he was disconcerting--an older, wiry man, mostly bald with tufts of bright red hair, carrying a strange spiked chain that glowed with a sickly green aura. He wasn't afraid of doing a little necromancy and conjuring either, and often brought forth skeletal warriors (each of whom he called "Father") and a shadowy steed as a mount. The picture (which comes from a really interesting, little known comic called The Victorian) captures the sort of strangeness I associate with Urtavius.

The Ravenloft campaign, alas, only lasted five sessions, but according to my notes it was action packed: we burned down a town, escaped from an asylum, and encountered the Carrion King. To my mind, Urtavius fit the game perfectly, and he was definitely a lot of fun to play. Since crossing dimensional walls often causes symptoms akin to madness, perhaps he'll turn up again someday in a strange new world?

URTAVIUS BELEROPHON

F2/S1/R1

Human, Chaotic Neutral, Age 50, Height 6'3, Weight 190 lbs, Eyes Amber, Skin Pale

Str: 10

Dex: 16 (+3)

Con: 13 (+1)

Int: 10

Wis: 12 (+1)

Cha: 14 (+2)

Hit Points: 25

Armor Class: 18

Initiative: +3

Fortitude: +4

Reflex: +5

Will: +3

Base Attack Bonus: +2

Spiked Chain +1: +6 attack, damage 2d4+1, Crit x2

Skill Ranks

Decipher Script: 1

Escape Artist: 1

Intimidate: 3

Jump: 1

Knowledge (Arcana): 1

Knowledge (Domains): 1

Move Silently: 1

Perform (Dance): 1

Ride: 3

Spellcraft: 1

Swim: 1

Tumble: 2

Use Rope: 1

Feats

Alertness

Weapon Finesse

Redhead: Mists

Exotic Weapon Proficiency

Combat Reflexes

Dirty Fighting

Sneak Attack

Trapfinding

Special Abilities

* Mount/1 day

* Burning Eyes

Spells

Message

Detect Magic

Light

Acid Splash

Summon Undead

Shield

Languages

Darkonese

Possessions

Mithril Shirt

Spiked Chain + 1

Spell Components Pouch

Clothing

Barbed Katar

Trail Rations

Bronze Ring (5 gp)

Magic Amulet +1

Greymalkin Queen Goo

Bracers of Awareness

Ring of Fire Protection + 2

Decaying Hand

364 gold pieces

12 silver pieces

4 comments:

The Wife said...

He is a very cool character - very different to interact with as a player - especially due to his habit of addressing everyone by a name not their own, as though they are someone from his past...I think you should definitely resurrect him whenever you can.

Bal said...

I never really did get into the Ravenloft setting. I think given the right group and game I could but my preference is and likely always would be D&D style sword and sorcery...

Certainly sounds like an interesting chap though who would be fun to play with...

Jeremy Patrick said...

I only played Ravenloft that once, and it's not really my favorite either--I like either straight up sword & sorcery OR horror (like Call of Cthuhlu), but the mixture just doesn't work as well. I think part of the problem is that for horror games to be really atmospheric and effective, the PCs have to be vulnerable, both physically and psychologically. If they wear chainmail and carry around swords, then things that should be terrifying are just monsters that can be hacked to death.

Bal said...

I think the horror setting is hard to get into personally. I mean you touched on the big thing for me, to get the atmosphere and to bring in the "horror" the players need to be able to feel some of that and that is generally hard to do. Top it with the sword and sorcery settings being more my thing and the horror genre just loses most appeal for me. The sci-fi and other genres are a bit better as I can put myself into the setting better but they still aren't my preferred genre.